Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Keep my Heart With You

 Part of the solution to poverty is doing whatever it takes to get your heart to stay with the poor.  (Ann Voskamp)

A few months ago I read two books;  Radical and The Hole in our Gospel.  And many times as I was reading, my heart would pound, and  I felt like I was that fallow ground being broken by the plow once again.  I felt I would never, ever be able to see the world and myself the same again.  I met Jesus in a new place; the place of suffering and the needy here on earth and it stung so deep.   The poor came knocking at my door.  They peered in my windows to see me sipping my morning brew.  They saw my wealth and wondered.  I saw the orphan with no mother to hold them and comfort them, the persecuted church who are all full of glory and joy, though they suffer.  And I felt the Lord was so near to me as I discovered and prayed and felt a "calling" inside of me.  I still feel it and I'm hashing it out and waiting for the answers to, "What more can I do?".  


Their memory is dimming though I have been praying for them and sending what I can.  We are even the proud owners of a photo of a tiny African boy from Swaziland who, through World Vision, we are able to help with his basic needs. But their memory is still dimming in me.  I can see it becoming less clear with every three and a  half  dollar gallon of gas that I buy and every frozen pizza that I serve for convenience sake. 

Today, I came across a post called The 1 Thing You Really Have to Know About Your Family.  Today, I remembered again like I did in the beginning.  Today the tears flow and I want them to because I want to remember in this way.  Maybe if we all remember them, some of them will suffer less and some will "believe" and become an instrument of change for their people; an instrument of our Father in Heaven.  


Somewhere in the post I read:  Part of the solution to poverty is doing whatever it takes to get your heart to stay with the poor.  This is my prayer today.  And if I keep my heart with the poor, I keep my heart with Jesus. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.


But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.




 

2 comments:

  1. This really pierced my heart, Rhonda. Thank you for reminding me to pray for the poor, for the orphans, and for the abused and neglected. I love your heart, Rhonda. Thanks for reminding me of the important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying so, Paula. ♥ Today, we'll pray together. We'll feel stronger together. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing a minute or two with me. Your comments are much appreciated.