Monday, January 7, 2013

About Wearing My Mom's Old Clothes

My mom is kind of "different", more than almost anyone I have ever really known. And I don't think she'd mind me saying that.   She wears these clothes that make her sort of stand out.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not embarrassed by it.  I never have been.  In fact, lately I've been sitting around wondering if that old thing that she has slipped around her feminine shoulders all these years might possibly fit me. 

I've contemplated this before, but always thought it was not completely my style, or that girls don't wear that style so well anymore.  I once thought that I'd get swallowed up if I wore the entire outfit....not because it was too big, but because it just had so much identity wrapped into it that I might loose my own. I mean, did I really want to look just like mom?  I sometimes thought that someone would  mistake me for someone else and take advantage of me if they saw me really owning that old thing and really wearin' it like it was mine for real.  

But I have changed  m y   m i n d   and I wonder if my mom  has been praying that I would.  Lately, I have been thinking of that old, worn thing that she wears and I have been actually longing to have it for my own!   I want to see if I can wear it so well as she always has.

This verse reminds me perfectly of her taste in clothes.

7but  (Jesus) made himself nothing,
taking the very natureb of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
 
Yeah, she wears "s e r v a n t ' s" clothes, but they have a royal sparkle, I must say, and an unforgettable flare.  Those duds are approachable, touchable, scrunch-up-able.  They can do dirty work and they are appropriate for formal events as well.  Seriously.  It doesn't matter if she is exhausted, sick, distracted, or whatever....she has them on, even underneath her PJs. 

  Do you know people who wear this royal garment called servanthood, too? Aren't they the most beautiful of all? And they don't even know it.   If you do, I bet they are very special to you, too. After awhile this robe seems to become seamless on themI've always taken for granted that she would wear them....those huggable, lovable, dependable old clothes.  Yes, she always will. (Now I am making myself cry).  But, I can wear them too, and all of the time, even under my PJs.   
Mom and Jack in 2001






 




2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. I don't think you can buy the outfits, I think they come as you pour yourself out over and over.
    May you wake up one morning and catch a glimpse of more of your Mama's garments.

    xoxo
    Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  2. She actually dresses beautifully in real life. ..ha,ha I just had to say that for the record...I should add that to the post! But, yes Kimmie, the pouring out concept is what is so beautiful and what for me is an exciting challenge once again...there are specific areas in me that are sort of guarded and protected and there is some "service" that I haven't been as willing to give that I now know I need to be. Emptying out to God is the key..not to expectations, or mans opinions of what your service is, but emptying all out to Him in the ways he's called you to serve. Then you are blessed and also not burned out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing a minute or two with me. Your comments are much appreciated.