Friday, May 17, 2013

The Sea and Me

A  while back I read A Gift From the Sea by Ann Morrow Lindbergh.  It was a few days full of deep sighs as I read.....some words just do that to some hearts.  I wrote a little as I read those few days and lately I've come back to add more.  Ann said:

 The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient.  To dig for treasures shows not only impatience and greed, but lack of faith.  Patience, patience, patience, is what the sea teaches.  Patience and faith.  One should lie empty, open, choiceless as the beach---waiting for a gift from the sea.
--Ann Morrow Lindbergh from A Gift From the Sea


  I see something bouyed in the waves. It is far off in the distance, but it is being drawn in by the tide, if I can just stay here and wait for it.  

What is it that I see?

Maybe that  He is the sea and the beach..........that is me.   For He does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy.  No, one can not force His hand, find treasures He has buried from you or from me.... for now You can not take these gifts by force, or force of your will But wait for the Sea.



"One should lie empty, open, choiceless as the beach".  But I want my gifts. In fact, I'd like to order them myself.  No, nothing material..., but answers, answers,  to my questions. I want good work to do, I want promises kept.  I want reward before duty is done, I want choices and assurances in this life. I'd like beauty before ashes..I'd like character before struggle, and maturity before pain, I want to see what's ahead sometimes, but when "ahead" arrives in the now, I want to send it back to there. I want blessings and the kind of life that I had planned.

   Did you really say I should lie empty, open and choiceless? Choiceless because You make the best choices for me?

But what if He chooses "hard" for me.  What if I waited for my gifts from the Sea (who is HE) and they were covered with thorns, or if they were only opened through struggles, tears, and grief?  What if His gifts hurt and change me?  What if I loose my "identity" because of these gifts from the great Sea.  

And then I saw it........as I was the beach and the beach was me, and the Sea, it covered over me, lifted me and drew me out with the tide.  I vanished in the Sea...my choices, my chosen identity, my plans, my will, my gifts... just vanished into the Sea.  And I then was free. 




Proverbs 3:5-6

New International Version (NIV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.[a]
 


2 comments:

Thanks for sharing a minute or two with me. Your comments are much appreciated.